- Academic Resources
- Faculty/Staff Information
- Academic Coaching
- Cyclone Success Coaching
- Psychology 131
- Supplemental Instruction
- Tutoring Services
- About Us
Photo provided by Special Collections Department / Iowa State University Library
Requesting a Tutor
- Tutoring takes place in groups (2 to 5 students).
- Group tutoring costs $4 per session.
- Tutees meet with their tutor two times per week for 50 minutes each session. During the summer term, students meet with their tutor three times a week for 50 minute sessions.
- We typically place students with the same professor in the same group, but we cannot guarantee that all students will have the same professor.
- Although we make every effort to fulfill your tutoring request, tutoring is not guaranteed. Placement depends on the number of qualified tutors and schedule compatibility.
- Tutors will not provide direct answers to anything graded (homework, projects, quizzes, etc. ).
If you are interested in requesting a tutor, the process consists of the following steps:
- Be registered for the course for which you want a tutor
- Complete the online application
- Select funding source: U-Bill (self-funded) or funding agency (requires approval)
- Keep your profile up-to-date (this allows us to effectively match you with a tutor)
- Check your profile for possible available groups (update profile as needed)
- Watch for an e-mail from your tutor once you are assigned a group
Please review the Policy Statement for Tutees for further information related to rates, absences, withdrawing from tutoring, and handling changes in your schedule.
We understand paying for a tutor can be a concern; therefore, our goal is to maintain low tutoring fees. There is a one-time $5 administrative fee per semester. All group tutoring costs $4 per tutoring session.
Tutoring fees are charged to your U-Bill once a month. Tutees may be eligible to receive financial assistance to aid them with tutoring fees. A listing of funding resources is available on the tutee application. If your tutoring is paid for by an outside source, you will need approval from the funding agency. If your funding source is not approved, you will need to pay by U-Bill or remove your request.
Please contact Rebecca Nation at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are concerned about funding your tutoring request.
As a tutee, you are responsible for doing the following:
- Attend all course lectures and tutoring sessions
- Come prepared to participate with questions and necessary materials
- Discuss absences or permanent schedule conflicts with tutor as soon as possible
Notify the ASC if no longer in need of tutoring
Students waiting for a tutor (or looking to supplement their experience) have many options:
- Review our academic resources
- Consult with the professor, the TA, or an academic coach
- Check the availability of Supplemental Instruction or help rooms
- Consider forming a peer study group
Visit the Writing and Media Center at Carver Hall
In addition to campus supports, students can use a number of online resources to supplement their learning:
- Howtostudy.org provides a number of resources related to studying various topics (bottom of the page).
- Study Guides and Strategies provides many resources including guides for problem-solving, math, and science.
- WolframAlpha for assistance solving math problems.
- Alegbra2go for video lectures, worksheets, and study material.
Khan Academy provides resources for math, science, arts and humanities, as well as test prep (e.g., GMAT, MCAT).
If you have a question regarding Tutoring Services review our Frequently Asked Questions. For all other inquiries, please call our office (515-294-6624), e-mail email@example.com, or contact our staff directly.