- For Fall 2020- Have video capabilities, reliable connectivity, and willingness to tutor online
- Review our Fall 2020 FAQ for Tutors
- Be enrolled as an Iowa State University undergraduate student
- Complete at least one (1) semester at Iowa State University
- Have an ISU cumulative GPA of 2.50
- Earn a grade of B or higher in course(s) you want to tutor taken here at Iowa State
- Tutors can work flexible schedules but must commit at least 4 hours as a new tutor and 6 hours as a returning tutor per week and work the entire semester
- Tutors earn $11 an hour and have opportunities for training and professional and personal growth
- Review the entire Tutor Position Description
- Review our list of current tutoring needs. We cannot fill your hours unless your course(s) have been requested.
- Complete an online application. In the summer, applications are limited to recently hired, returning tutors.
- You will be contacted for an interview after we review your application. We consider your application responses, courses, and schedule. Interviews take place in groups. This is your chance to demonstrate the skills we look for in our tutors. If you require accommodations for your interview please let us know when you schedule your interview.
- Read the Tutoring Services handbook.
- Complete a short online quiz over the handbook. Required every semester of employment.
- Complete required human resource forms. These forms must be returned prior to orientation.
- Please note that for summer, you must have a current, valid I-9 on file with HR.
- Log in and complete all Workday onboarding requirements.
- Attend new tutor orientation (2 hours).
This entire process should take no longer than 2 weeks. Hiring decisions are based on your application responses, interview, and successful completion of the online quiz and orientation. ASC reserves the right to limit hours and/or requests for courses submitted by tutors at any point in the semester.
Please contact Rebecca Nation about the tutor hiring process if you have any questions.
Tutoring is an excellent opportunity to build your communication and leadership skills, keep up your knowledge of completed coursework, and help others. Tutors will gain skills in all areas of the Career Readiness Competencies, skills future employers look for!
Over 9 out of 10 tutors would recommend being a tutor! For more testimonials from tutors, check out our Tutor Testimonials page.