A SI Leader is an undergraduate student who provides peer academic support for an assigned course. SI Leaders assist in student learning and retention at Iowa State University through facilitation of study sessions that help students better understand concepts and applications of course content.
Each semester, we hire more than 50 undergraduate SI Leaders. Based on policies of the graduate college, we cannot hire graduate students.
Become an SI Leader
We are currently hiring SI Leaders for BIOL/GEN 313 (MWF 12:10pm-1:00pm). Applicants must be available to attend fall 2018 lectures during the days/times listed in parenthesis after each course. Applicants who are interested and available for the listed courses can CLICK HERE TO APPLY.
View the qualifications, responsibilties, and compensation/benefits below.
- Enrollment as an Iowa State University undergraduate student
- Minimum ISU cumulative GPA: 3.00/4.00
- Minimum semester GPA for the most recent academic semester completed: 3.00/4.00
- Grade of B+ or higher in course(s) you desire to lead
**Please note: we do not provide SI Leaders with any training in specific content areas (ex: math), which is why this knowledge of course content is expected prior to application.
**If you are currently enrolled in the course and do not yet have a final grade determined, please have your instructor complete the Current Grade Form.
- Self-motivation and direction to work independently with limited supervision
- Empathy for and understanding of a diverse group of students
- Ability to speak and present information to large audiences
Available to attend the following committments:
- Participate in orientation at the beginning of the semester. Attendance required:
- New Leaders
- Saturday, August 18th 1:00pm to 6:00pm
- Sunday, August 19th 1:00 to 5:00pm
- Returning Leaders
- Sunday, August 19th 2:00pm to 5:00pm
- New Leaders
- Attend all SI staff meetings throughout the semester. Attendance required:
- Thursday, August 23rd 6:10pm-7:00pm
- Thursday, September 13th 6:10pm-7:00pm
- Thursday, October 11th 6:10pm-7:00pm
- Thursday, November 1st 6:10pm-7:00pm
- Thursday, November 29th 6:10pm-7:00pm
- Participate in the SI Leader Retreat. Attendance required:
- Saturday, September 29th 9:00am-2:00pm
- Attend all lectures with students to relearn course content, stay on pace with instruction, and build rapport
- Promote SI and motivate students to attend SI sessions through class announcements, board reminders, and electronic communication
- Creatively plan for SI sessions including preparing interactive activities, worksheets, and other resources that encourage peer-to-peer learning
- Facilitate three 50-minute SI sessions per week using collaborative and active learning strategies
- Participate in staff development activities and continuous leadership development opportunities including SI Leader orientation, SI Leader retreat, staff meetings, individual meetings with an SI Supervisor or Mentor, and observations of peer SI Leaders
- Complete administrative responsibilities including taking and submitting attendance, submitting wage reports, maintaining website in a timely manner
- Develop relationships with students, SI supervisors, and course instructor(s) and facilitate relationship-building among students
- Assist students in becoming familiar with study skills and university resources
- Role model good student behavior and act in a professional manner
SI Leaders will earn $10.50 per hour for time spent:
- Attending class
- Preparing for sessions
- Facilitating sessions.
If you have a question regarding becoming a Supplemental Instruction Leader, please call our office (515-294-6624) or e-mail email@example.com.