A SI Leader is an undergraduate student who provides peer academic support for an assigned course. SI Leaders assist in student learning and retention at Iowa State University through facilitation of study sessions that help students better understand concepts and applications of course content.
Each semester, we hire more than 50 undergraduate SI Leaders. Based on policies of the graduate college, we cannot hire graduate students.
Become an SI Leader
All SI Leader positions for spring 2019 have been filled. The SI Leader position application for fall 2019 will open in March.
View the qualifications, responsibilties, and compensation/benefits below.
- Enrollment as an Iowa State University undergraduate student
- Minimum ISU cumulative GPA: 3.00/4.00
- Minimum semester GPA for the most recent academic semester completed: 3.00/4.00
- Grade of B+ or higher in course(s) you desire to lead
**Please note: we do not provide SI Leaders with any training in specific content areas (ex: math), which is why this knowledge of course content is expected prior to application.
**If you are currently enrolled in the course and do not yet have a final grade determined, please have your instructor complete the Current Grade Form.
- Self-motivation and direction to work independently with limited supervision
- Empathy for and understanding of a diverse group of students
- Ability to speak and present information to large audiences
- Attend all lectures with students to relearn course content, stay on pace with instruction, and build rapport
- Promote SI and motivate students to attend SI sessions through class announcements, board reminders, and electronic communication
- Creatively plan for SI sessions including preparing interactive activities, worksheets, and other resources that encourage peer-to-peer learning
- Facilitate three 50-minute SI sessions per week using collaborative and active learning strategies
- Participate in staff development activities and continuous leadership development opportunities including SI Leader orientation, SI Leader retreat, staff meetings, individual meetings with an SI Supervisor or Mentor, and observations of peer SI Leaders
- Complete administrative responsibilities including taking and submitting attendance, submitting wage reports, maintaining website in a timely manner
- Develop relationships with students, SI supervisors, and course instructor(s) and facilitate relationship-building among students
- Assist students in becoming familiar with study skills and university resources
- Role model good student behavior and act in a professional manner
Leaders must be able to attend the following required staff development and trainings during the Spring 2019 semester:
- New Leaders
- Saturday, January 12th 1-6pm
- Sunday, January 13th 1-4pm
- Returning Leaders
- Sunday January 13th 2-5pm
- New Leaders
- All SI Staff Meetings
- Thursday, January 17th 6:10-7:00pm
- Thursday, February 7th 6:10-7:00pm
- Thursday, March 7th 6:10-7:00pm
- Thursday, April 4th 6:10-7:00pm
- Thursday, April 25th 6:10-7:00pm
- All Staff Retreat
- Saturday, February 23th 9am-1pm
SI Leaders will earn $11.00 per hour for time spent:
- Attending class
- Preparing for sessions
- Facilitating sessions.
If you have a question regarding becoming a Supplemental Instruction Leader, please call our office (515-294-6624) or e-mail email@example.com.