Request a Workshop
As of 8/31, the ASC will only be carrying out virtual workshops. Campus partners can request a virtual workshop here. ASC ambassadors will provide materials and handouts virtually before the workshop. The requestor will be responsible for distribution of materials.
- Starting Fall 2020, the ASC will be offering requested Academic Skill Workshops (formally presentations) and scheduled Academic Skill Workshops (formally workshops). Read more about these changes here.
- Undergraduate ASC Ambassadors will be facilitating workshops for your class or organization.
- Please keep in mind submitting a request is not a guarantee of a workshop as it is based on our staff's availability.
- You must submit your request using the online workshop request form at least 2 weeks in advance to allow for adequate time to arrange a faciliatator. One request per workshop is appreciated. Expect to receive a confirmation e-mail if/when your workshop is accepted by our staff.
Workshops we provide are limited to the following topics listed below (1/presentation request). Click on each workshop to view a description, the approximate time length, and a copy of the PowerPoint and Handouts that are available.
ASC Overview of Services: This workshop is designed to give participants an overview of the services and support offered by the Academic Success Center. Participants will have the opportunity to learn more about Academic Coaching, Psych 131, Supplemental Instruction, and Tutoring Services.
Time Management: Time Management is an essential aspect of academic success. In this interactive workshop, participants will learn strategies on how to effectively manage their time and prioritize their tasks.
The Study Cycle: This interactive workshop focuses on metacognition and utilizing the Study Cycle to succeed in courses. The Study Cycle is a 5-step approach designed to help students become more efficient learners. Workshop participants will learn how to approach their coursework in “learn” mode instead of “study” mode.
Exam Preparation: This workshop focuses on helping students effectively prepare for an upcoming exam. Participants will learn more about the 5-day study plan, different review and study strategies, and how to structure their study time before an exam.
When to Request Your Workshop
There are certain times of the school year when our availability is limited and certain workshops are more effective. Your understanding and advance planning during these times are appreciated:
- Presentations during the first and last 2-3 weeks of each semester are possible, but require at least one month notice. It is a busy time in the ASC, and our schedules fill up quickly.
- Presentations during winter, spring, or fall break can be difficult to accommodate.
- We provide scheduled workshops throughout the semester as an alternative to requested ones.
Please keep in mind submitting a request is not a guarantee of a presentation as it is based on our staff's availability. Please also be mindful of the size of your group; we want to accommodate the most people possible when the need is highest. Thank you for your support!